Wednesday, January 11, 2012

New Mushroom Painting and new iideas

Finished Mushroom Painting

I decided to start trying out some new things with my art this year. Instead of just doing tiny sculptures and jewelry I decided to really get into doing some paintings. I was painting a ton of things for Christmas for all me friends and family and really rediscovered my love for painting. This is my first attempt to sell some some paintings since I was really young.

The mushroom painting is done in watercolors on a wooden cutting board I got that was bare and raw still. It was a light color of wood and I wanted to leave a lot of it showing through the painting, which is why I chose watercolor (instead of acrylics as I had intended when I first bought the wood board). Then I drew the mushrooms on the board in pencil free hand and planned out the grass and everything. I decided to go with amanita mushrooms because they are a nice red orange color and people use them a lot in their kitchen decorations. Also, they are what one thinks of when they decide to draw or paint a mushroom. The red with white dots. Although, I enjoy all types of mushrooms. As one can see below the painting was nice before I clear coated it but it doesn't look finished and presentable yet.

Mushroom Painting Before Clear Coat


After I finished the watercolor mushroom painting I decided to finish it with a clear coat of Krylon Crystal Clear. The one I used on this painting is the matte clear because the shiny one can sometimes take away from the painting and make it look dull. However I use this paint on all my wooden work because it is the best and dries in 10 minutes.

After the paint dried it has a slightly glossy finish and is the painting as well as the wood is well protected.


You can find this exact item for sale on my Etsy shop:

No comments:

Post a Comment